Whether or not you have backyard chickens these fun chicken facts will definitely amaze you!
- There are more chickens than people in the world. There are in fact 3 chickens per every man, woman and child. That’s over 25 billion chickens, more than any other bird in the world!
- Chickens can recognize over 100 faces, so you can be sure your chicken knows exactly who you are just by looking at you!
- You can generally tell the color of eggs a chicken will lay by looking at their ears! Chickens with white earlobes lay white eggs. Brown egg layers have red earlobes.
- Unlike dogs, chickens can see (and dream!) in full-color, just like us!
- Hens mate with multiple roosters, however, if they decide they don’t want any chicks from a particular rooster after mating, they can eject that rooster’s sperm.
- The joke “Why did the chicken cross the road?” was first printed in 1845 in a New York magazine with the classic “to get to the other side” answer.
- The breed “Ayam Cemani” is a very rare breed with black feathers, beak and even organs! Their cost? Up to $2,500 dollars.
- Mother hens talk to baby chicks while still in the egg, and the chicks chirp back to their mom!
- Chickens were firstly domesticated in China 8,000 years ago.
- In 2004 it was discovered that chickens are the closest living relative to the T-Rex.
- Chickens have three eyelids.
- The most amount of eggs any chicken has laid during a day is 7 eggs, and the most during a year is 371 by a white leghorn.
- Roosters are so fearless at protecting their flock that the ancient Romans believed even lions were afraid of roosters! This was evidenced in several fables, such as “The Lion And The Elephant“.
- Chickens can taste saltiness but they can’t taste sweetness.
- You can buy a “chicken poop” lip balm in Amazon.
- Human babies take over 7 months to develop object permanence. Chicks? They take two days.
- Chickens can’t really fly. Their longest recorded flight? 13 seconds.
- Chickens have their own unique language with over 30 different sounds.
- The United Kingdom virtually eliminating salmonella by vaccinating chickens.
- One farmer managed to increase egg size and production without any change in feed. His secret? Classical music.
- On average over 97 chickens are killed every 0.05 seconds after living a terrible life in cages. The ethical alternative? Backyard chickens! Here’s everything you need to know to start.
Which one was your favorite? Let us know in your comments below!