We occasionally read or hear about tragic stories of people dumping ducks, chickens, and other birds in dumpsters or outside.Â There is absolutely no reason to ever dump birds in an environment where they cannot survive.Â All birds, especially domesticated ducks and chickens, have value and can be given a good and purposeful home.
Many people do not realize that most ducks and chickens one comes into contact with are domesticated breeds.Â Thus, they had their wild instincts bred out over time in order to achieve the most desirable farming traits.Â They will not adapt to a wild environment in most situations, and certainly should not be killed or dumped simply because they are unwanted.
If you have ducks or chickens which you cannot care for or do not want, please do not destroy them.Â These are several key options which you can pursue to find them an adequate home, all of which require little effort.
How to find a good home for unwanted ducks or chickens –
- Post an ad for free ducklings or chicks on Craigslist.org .Â People all over the country raise ducks and chickens for a variety of beneficial purposes including egg production, pets, and as meat.Â If you simply advertise on Craigslist that you have some free birds available to be picked up, you will receive plenty of interest.Â Often time times, a good home can be found within a few hours.
- Look for people seeking ducks and birds in your area on farming message boards, such as BestFarmBuys.com or AgriSeek.com . If you find the right person, you may even be able to sell you birds and make some money.
- Contact a local farm or hatchery and ask them to take the birds.Â There are countless places which raise birds for a variety of purposes all around the country.
- Contact a local wildlife rehabilitater or waterfowl rescuer.Â While this a great option and a valuable resource, these valuable people are very busy.Â Thus, it may be better if you attempt one of the options above prior to contacting a rescuer.
- Contact your local Fish and Game department.Â Again, this option should be used only when you’ve attempted the first three options.